Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Top 3 John Hughes Films




















3. The Breakfast Club -
 Now I know some might say, "why number three?" well it's a John Hughes film that I saw later on.  But it's still a great film and I enjoyed it very much.  I mean it is one of the best John Hughes films and it's a film people still talk about to this day.  It's one of those films where you remember the characters, certain lines from the film, and just the banter between the cast.  So it is definitely a classic and I applaud John Hughes for this film because he was able to connect with the cast and after all of these years, it's still remains a classic 80's comedy.






















2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off -
This too me is one of those comedies that I can go back and watch and still laugh.  Heck, let's say if I had a Top 10 list of comedies this film would be in there.  I know some may not put this above The Breakfast Club because going back The Breakfast Club had more depth in regards to connection with characters.  For example, you have some moments of a lot of fun banter but there is a couple of moments where you feel for them and that's what makes this film and The Breakfast Club different.  Yes, the direction in characters is there and that's one of the big positives of John Hughes is that he knows how to direct characters.  In this film, it's more about these three main characters having a wild adventure in the city and the film really focused on that.  Now in the third act, they go into the troubles of Alan Ruck's character and it was done well.  So yes, I enjoy this more than The Breakfast Club.  I guess it is a factor that I watched The Breakfast Club later on in life but at the same time too me, it felt like there was more going on in the film.  It's like The Breakfast Club was a well-directed film that had a good balance of comedy/drama and Ferris Bueller's Day Off was more about having a straight-forward comedy with the same direction in characters.  So that's why this film is at number 2.






















1. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles -
 This film is my favorite John Hughes film.  Maybe because I was big fan of John Candy but at the same time I also enjoy Steve Martin.  Too me this film would also be in my Top 10 (it would probably be in my Top 5 perhaps) of favorite comedies.  I mean these two characters well done very well and it's definitely a very unique chemistry.  Because you start off with Steve Martin's character and he is trying to get home for Thanksgiving but along the way he meets John Candy's character and from there is just a very fun ride.  Both characters were different and to this day it's one of my favorite road trip films.  I mean I'm sure some will bring up films like Dumb & Dumber, Due Date, and so forth.  But I always go back to this film first because I'm a big fan of both actors and I thought John Hughes did a great job directing.  Now of course, I've enjoyed other John Candy films such as Uncle Buck, Cool Runnings (YES, I like that film... sue me) but this is definitely my favorite John Candy performance.  Overall, a great comedy and one of my favorites. RIP John Candy & John Hughes.

Thanks for tuning in.  Take care.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment